Save the date:
Friday, June 2 - Sunday, June 4, 2017
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: May 26th
Survive and Thrive Bootcamp weekend for adults (ages 21 and older) with type 1 diabetes is a premier weekend offering a balance of relaxation and fun with intense interactive education designed to empower adults with type 1 diabetes. The weekend includes a line-up of speakers who are knowledgeable about living with diabetes as an adult.
CONNECT - RE-ENERGIZE - GROW
- EDUCATION - Interactive Educational Sessions facilitated by professionals in their individual fields.
- INFORMATION - Vendor Fair with a variety of diabetes-related products and organizations.
- CONNECTION - Meet and connect with other adults with type 1 diabetes; share and learn from others with type 1.
- FUN! Activities including zipline, boating, archery, bonfire and more will be offered.
- RELAXATION - Relax and unwind with a private or chair massage offered by licensed Massage Therapists throughout the weekend (additional fee required).
Meals and snacks are included. Vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free alternatives will be provided.
Participants may select from Full Weekend or Saturday-Only passes.
Discounts are provided for Camp Nejeda Alumni participants, including those who have previously participated in Bootcamp. **New Pricing Option available this year for those who wish to participate in the full weekend but would prefer to stay off-site**
- Full Weekend, Health Center Accommodations: $240 SOLD OUT*
- Alumni- Full Weekend, Health Center Accommodations: $210 SOLD OUT*
- Full Weekend, Cabin Accommodations: $215
- Alumni- Full Weekend, Cabin Accommodations: $185
- Full Weekend, No Accommodations: $185
- Alumni- Full Weekend, No Accommodations: $155
- Saturday Only: $150
- Alumni- Saturday Only: $139
*If you wish to be put on a Wait List for any Sold Out Accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be notified should a spot become available.
Meet a few of our 2017 speakers!
Camp Nejeda is excited to announce the following speakers:
- Daniele Hargenrader, BSNS, CPT, CHT, PWD - The Diabetes Dominator: Personal Diabetes Trainer - Daniele Hargenrader, founder of Diabetes Dominator, is the bestselling author of Unleash Your Inner Diabetes Dominator. She is a nutritionist with her Bachelor's degree in Nutrition Science, a Diabetes and Health Coach, and a Certified Personal Trainer. Daniele is an international speaker, has presented at Fortune 100 companies and top ranked hospitals. and has dedicated herself to teaching people how to live the life they imagined through taking control of their powers of choice and self-love. Daniele has been living with T1D since 1991 and founded Diabetes Dominator in 2009 with the intention of serving those who are looking for a path to turn a perceived adversity into an advantage through the Diabetes Dominator system and the Six Pillars of Total Health. She helps individuals from all walks of life to think, eat and move in ways that allow them to achieve a quality of health and life that they previously thought unattainable.
- Dr. D'Arcy King, PhD. - NYC Behavioral Psychologist focusing on diabetes burnout. Dr. D'Arcy King is a health psychologist who has lived with type 1 diabetes for over 36 years. She works with others living with diabetes to help overcome the daily emotional and psychological challenges of living with diabetes. As a behavioral consultant she develops programs to educate and provide psychosocial coaching for people living with diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. She is currently investigating the impact of wearable tech and app technology on diabetes management.
Bennet Dunlap MSHC - A Diabetes Advocate with a degree in finance from Lehigh University, Bennet initially pursued a career in commercial banking. Following the diagnosis of his children with type 1, his passion for advocacy grew and he earned a master's in health communications from Boston University to serve better the diabetes community. He is the father of four, two of who live with type 1 diabetes. Like millions of Americans, Bennet tries to be successful with type 2 diabetes himself. He has created a variety of social media projects and was a co-founder of the Diabetes Patient Advocacy Coalition to make policy advocacy easy. Bennet has given patient perspectives in public testimony before the FDA’s Endocrine and Metabolic Drug Committee on diabetes medication. Recently he was a consumer reviewer for both PCORI and CDMRP grants.
- Laura Cipullo, RD, CDE, CDN, CEDRD is the founder of Laura Cipullo Whole Nutrition Services in NYC, and the L'ifestyle Lounge in Closter, NJ, where she and her team teach clients how to eat ALL foods guilt-free and how to live mindfully. Laura weaves evidence-based science into treating her clients, and her approach combines her credentialed expertise in Nutrition, Behavior Change, The Endocrine System, and Psychology. While she believes in organic, sustainable foods the majority of the time, her clients love her compassionate, mindful, ‘wholistic’ approach to positive nutrition. Her motto is “Eat Kale and Cupcakes!”
An expert in nutrition and healthy living, Laura has almost 20 years of clinical experience as a Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator, and Certified Eating Disorder Registered Dietitian. Laura’s fourth book, “Everyday Diabetes, Meals for 1 or 2” (Robert Rose, March 2017) is a joint effort between Laura and her colleague, Lisa Mikus, RD, a member of Laura’s practice. Together, they have whipped up 150 diabetes-friendly recipes for singles and couples. Laura is also the author of the Diabetes Comfort Food Diet (Robert Rose, 2015), and Women’s Health Body Clock Diet (Rodale, 2015).
She is consistently tapped by a variety of publications, such as Fitness, Real Simple Magazine, OK! Magazine, Today’s Dietitian, Diabetes Forecast, Diabetic Living, Women’s Health, The Daily Meal, The Huffington Post, Fox News and Everyday Health. Laura also makes frequent guest appearances on local and national television shows, including NY’s PIX11 News, Fox & Friends, Headline News, and several shows on wellness-focused Z Living TV. Follow her @LauraCipullo @LifestyleLoungeNJ and @EatKaleandCupcakes
Lisa Mikus RD, CNSC, CDN leads mindful meal support groups, eats one on one with clients and counsels individuals through Laura Cipullo Whole Nutrition Services. In addition, she works along side Tom Hildebrandt at Mount Sinai’s Eating and Weight Disorder Program where she leads the nutrition program for adolescents and families struggling with eating disorders. Lisa strives to make each client feel comfortable and understood. She approaches each session with an energetic and positive outlook.
As a Certified Nutrition Support Clinician (CNSC), Lisa has worked as a clinical dietitian in acute and intensive care units in both Houston, TX, and New York City. She uses her strong clinical skills to support her true passion of counseling clients in the outpatient setting.
Lisa’s knowledge is frequently tapped by the media. She is a nutrition contributor for the likes of SparksPeople and EverUp. She is frequently quoted on Women’s Health online and Self Magazine. Lisa co-authored her first cookbook with Laura, Everyday Diabetes Meals for 1 or 2. Professionally, her future plans include becoming credentialed as a Certified Eating Disorder Registered Dietitian (CEDRD) and Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE).
Friday June 2
- 1:00 pm-Early Check In begins. For anyone who would like to stretch their legs after the drive, you are welcome to take a walk along Todd's Trail, or venture a little farther off-site for a longer hiking trail.
- 4:00 pm-6:00 pm-Regular Check In
- 6:00 pm-tour of Camp Nejeda
- 6:30 pm Dinner
- 7:30-10:00 pm-Interactive Social activity to kick off the weekend, followed by some free time to relax
Saturday June 3
- 8:00 - 8:45 am-Registration for Saturday Only Participants
- 3 Whole Group Sessions
- 2 Breakout Sessions with several topics to choose from
- Vendor Fair
- Enjoy some camp activities such as zip lining and boating!
- Relax with a Professional Massage! (Additional Fee applies)
- Time in the evening to socialize or relax around a bonfire, weather permitting
Sunday June 4
- Start your morning off with some Yoga
- 2 Breakout Sessions with several topics to choose from
- Enjoy some camp activities such as zip lining and archery!
- Relax with a Professional Massage! (Additional Fee applies)
- The weekend will conclude after Lunch
Four Whole Group Sessions:
- Living Beyond: We kick the weekend off with an exciting and interactive activitiy sponsored by Beyond Type 1.
- Current and Upcoming Technology-Presented by the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Learn about the newest and upcoming research and technology in diabetes from the JDRF.
- Mindfulness and Nutrition-Presented by Laura Cipullo RD, CDE CEDRD, CDN and Holly Warfel MS, RD, CDE, CDN. Join Laura and Holly to learn about different forms of mindful eating and how you can apply it while living with type 1 diabetes.
- Mindful Fitness and Diabetes: The Interconnected Mind and Body-Presented by Daniele Hargenrader BSNS, CPT, CHT, PWD. In this informative and interactive session, we will learn all about why the practices of mindfulness and fitness go hand in hand, and exactly HOW to put these healthy habits into practice while living with diabetes. We will cover actionable techniques that can immediately and easily be applied to your everyday life in order to improve your relationship with yourself and your diabetes.
Four Break Out Sessions, with a total of 7-8 topics to choose from including:
- Diabetes (De)Stress-Presented by Dr. D'Arcy King. No matter how diligent you are about your diabetes management, one thing is certain - you will have to live with the ups and downs of living with this disease. In this workshop we will help to identify specifically what is causing your diabetes distress and learn techniques to help you to (de)stress.
- MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed Loop System. Curious about the first closed loop system to be approved by the FDA? Come learn everything you want to know about MiniMed's revolutionary 670G system.
- Everyday Diabetes-Presented by Laura Cipullo and Lisa Mikus. Join Registered Dietitians and Authors Laura Cipullo and Lisa Mikus to learn how to eat easily and live well with diabetes. This session will be a live cooking class/demo featuring recipes from their cookbook, Everyday Diabetes Meals - Cooking for One or Two.
- Regaining Your Resilience-Presented by Dr. D'Arcy King. When complications come, it can feel like nothing will ever be the same again. In this workshop, share your experience with others and discuss steps you can take to find a way forward.
- Easy Ways to Engage on Policy-Presented by Bennett Dunlap. As a passionate and experienced advocate for better diabetes care, Bennett joins us to speak about easy ways to engage with policymakers.
- The Mindset of Choosing Motivation-Presented by Daniele Hargenrader. All too often we hear about motivation, but we rarely learn HOW to understand it and make it a habitual part of our day to day lives. In this presentation, we will learn about why motivation is a personal choice, much like our diabetes management practices, and how to consciously and intentionally welcome the mindset of motivation into our daily lives.
Accommodations options include group-style Camper cabins with a half bath and access to our newly constructed bath house (a short walk from your cabin) or the option to upgrade to shared dorm-style rooms with shared bathrooms on the second floor of our Helmsley Heath Center facility. Rooms in the Helmsley Health Center have limited availability and will be filled first come, first serve. Two rooms on the first floor of the Health Center can be used for handicapped access.
If you do not wish to stay on-site, but would like to stay close by, here are some nearby hotels for your convenience:
Econo Lodge, Newton NJ (8 miles) 2 stars
Holiday Motel, Andover NJ (9 miles) 1 star
Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Sparta NJ (9 miles) 2 stars
Holiday Inn, Budd Lake NJ (17 miles) 3 stars
- Residence Inn, Mount Olive NJ (17 miles) 3 stars
You are attending Survive and Thrive Bootcamp at Camp Nejeda – a summer camp for children with type 1 diabetes. Accommodations are that of a summer camp facility and while you will have access to modern conveniences, you should pack for the experience. Participants are encouraged to pack comfortable and casual attire and include warm clothes for evenings and outdoor activities. Layers work best! A full packing list will be provided in the weeks preceding the program.
*Cabins are not heated. Please pack sleeping bags and/or sheets and extra blankets. In the event that the weather is unseasonably cold, Camp Nejeda will provide additional heat sources in the cabins.
Special Thanks to our Program Sponsors: