Professional Development Programs at Camp Nejeda
Type 1 diabetes in children
Continuing education course for nurses
Activity type: Knowledge-based
dates and locations:
Camp Nejeda (Stillwater, NJ) - 2018 Date TBD
Ripa Center (Voorhees, NJ) - 2018 Date TBD
Children's Specialized Hospital, New Brunswick, NJ - 2018 Date TBD
Seminar hours are 9am - 3pm
- 9:00-9:15 Networking
- 9:15-9:30 Welcoming Remarks and Introduction to Seminar
- 9:30-11:30 Seminar Speaker
- 11:30-12:00 Lunch
- 12:00-2:30 Seminar Speaker
- 2:30-3:00 Closing Remarks and Program Evaluation
The Camp Nejeda Foundation is pleased to offer Type 1 Diabetes in Children; an educational seminar for RNs, CDEs, Pharmacists, and Dietitians. The seminar qualifies for 4.5 Continuing Education Units and includes the following objectives:
1. Review Type 1 Diabetes
2. Discuss the technique of basal/bolus insulin and carbohydrate counting to the child with Diabetes and their family
3. Discuss the proper use of insulin pumps and CGMs, the features and brands most commonly used
4. Discuss proper use of insulin ports and recognize different types
5. Discuss the use of older conventional insulin
6. Discuss the management of children with diabetes during exercise, and on sick days
7. Describe the significance and treatment of ketones
8. Describe various hypoglycemic situations with their corresponding treatment
9. Discuss the general medical needs of children with diabetes
Learning Outcome: Participants in this seminar will become familiar with the types of insulin available, methods of insulin administration and blood sugar monitoring/management, and the pathophysiology of type 1 diabetes. They will take away knowledge which they will be able to apply in caring for children with type 1 diabetes in schools or other settings.
Requirements for Successful Completion: For successful completion, participants are required to be in attendance in the full activity, and complete and submit the program evaluation at the conclusion of the educational event.
Brianna Hanekom, BSN, CDE, Cooper Pediatric Endocrinology
Michelle Laranko, RN, CDE, CPN, Cooper Diabetes Education Center
This seminar (2017-055) has been approved to receive Continuing Education Units by the American Association of Diabetes Educators for 4.5 contact hours. The American Association of Diabetes Educators is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Thank you to Children's Specialized Hospital which has provided funding for the seminar taking place on September 30, 2017.
For more information about the program, please call or email Victoria Benyo from the Camp Nejeda Foundation at 973-383-2611 x 224 or firstname.lastname@example.org